Cancer Patients Need Caregivers To Become Cancer Survivors

By John Fink

I have never enjoyed visiting people in the hospital. Or even in their home when they were sick. That's not a good thing for an ordained minister. When I was the pastor of a church, visiting the sick was not my most enjoyable task. However, it is something we all should do, even if it is not the most enjoyable activity.

The following suggestions should help you be the supportive person for your loved one or even a casual friend who has been diagnosed with cancer.

Your first fear is, "What shall I say?" You actually don't have to say anything. Or at least not very much. Your first job is to listen. This is difficult when you are with someone you care about who is facing a life-threatening illness.

It is imperative to listen without offering unrealistic expectations. Miracles do happen. I am one of them. No one, not even my doctors expected me to live. I felt so hopeless that I called hospice in. The only bright spots in my day were the visits of my friends and family. I think those visits were as much a factor in my recovery as the chemotherapy treatments, my surgeries and the 38 radiation treatments I endured.

Most of my visitors refrained from telling me how good I looked and promising me that I would be my "old self" in no time. Yeah right. With tubes up my nose and extending from my arm I resented what I perceived as false hope. I am not saying that you should not provide words of encouragements and hope. Just be careful not to promise things your loved one my not have the capacity to believe right now.

It is common human behavior to say "Oh, you're going to be just fine". Just sitting with someone who is sick and not feeling very hopeful can be the most significant contribution that you will make to your loved one's well-being.

Stay in touch. Cancer treatment and recovery can be a long drawn out process. Cancer patients often think that "people don't call or visit any more" Checking in regularly over the long haul is tremendously helpful. I don't think cancer survivors can become cancer survivors if it were not for loving caregivers and supportive family and friends.

John Fink is a Stage IV Cancer Survivor
http://www.yourcancerinfo.com

http://www.askacancersurvivor.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=John_Fink

http://EzineArticles.com/?Cancer-Patients-Need-Caregivers-To-Become-Cancer-Survivors&id=921868

0 comments:

Buzz Apparel - Support Brain Tumor Research

Fox Valley Brain Tumor Coalition - Journey of Hope Walk

The Journey of Hope is our major fundraiser of the year, allowing us to raise most of the funds that we need to survive. This event is critical to the success of this group, so we hope you can join us!

With over 750 walkers, the Fox Valley Brain Tumor Coalition puts on a great party the Saturday after Labor Day every year. The non-competitive walk is held on the grounds of NeuroSpine Center of Wisconsin. Our paved ½ mile trail is short enough for nearly everyone to make at least one lap around, and is accessible to wheelchairs! For those who like more of a challenge, we encourage as many laps as you are able to do!

The day is a celebration of those fighting brain tumors and remembering those who have lost their battle. The walk starts with a ceremony at the Tree of Hope, with testimonials from those most affected by this disease, as well as a dedication from neurosurgeon Thomas Wascher MD, one of our biggest supporters.

Once you have built up your appetite from the walk, come in to our party tent for a great home-cooked picnic. We have fresh roasted corn-on-the-cob, hamburgers, hot dogs, chips and sweets! Vegetarian selections are available for those with restricted diets.

A huge silent auction, kids games, music, pictures and more makes this party fun for everyone!

As always, dogs are welcome, but should always be on a leash…we will provide water for our four legged friends!

Your registration cost of $10 (yes still only $10 after all these years!!!) includes a great t-shirt with all of our corporate sponsors proudly displayed, lunch and all the fun you can handle!

New this year is our online registration and personal web page, making it easier for your family and friends to support your efforts.

My Team